Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pre-show rituals and ego


Traditionally, in SJT, we'll circle up and center before a concert show. It usually involves PJ talking about gathering energy from within and without for a while, then each of us will give a word(words) or a phrase to inspire the others.

Unfortunately, this has the opposite effect of getting me ready for a show. I know for some people, a calm state of mind in motion - zanshin - is what helps them, however. One big downside in doing this is that we'll circle up 15 minutes before showtime, then have a good 10 minutes until the actual start of the show. If you're trying to keep that sense of calmness or focus, it's going to be hard during that span, as other members engage you in conversations or other distractions.

For me, I want to be pumped. I want to be going into battle, jazzed and charged up. Some members will listen to music for this effect, but I usually just pick a song and sing it out in my head. The departure I have from most other taiko players I know is the level I like to go to before a show. I challenge my doubts and fears, my chances for error, and potential failure. I trash-talk them in my head, daring them to take me on. It's almost hyper-masculine and not something I'd want to do in or with a group, but when I set foot on stage, I want to be crackling with energy, not a calm pillar of it.

And here's where I may get myself misunderstood. We're constantly reminded to be humble and watch our egos as taiko players. I think this comes from the Japanese and Japanese-American environment that we learn taiko in. To me, this goes against the mindset of being a performer. When I'm on stage, I want the audience to be inspired, entertained, and enthralled. I don't feel I can give them that if I'm holding back on stage. Am I wrong on this?

When I solo on stage, I solo with the belief that I'm the best soloist there is. At that time. When it's my turn, I use that confidence to project my energy out to the audience (and to the rest of the group). Without that, I don't feel like I'm giving my all or my best. Once someone else solos, then they're the best soloist there is and it's my job to make them feel that way through support.

I do think it's good to have humility in one's abilities, but that taking that mindset on stage with you is crippling! I don't want to go to a show and watch people hold back! Think of your favorite performers and what it would be like if they thought, "I need to hold my ego in check."

In karate, which has many of the same cultural values, to do kata or to spar thinking less than 100% of yourself shows up like heat on infrared. As an assistant instructor, when I'm watching someone with lack of confidence and self-doubt, I see it in every single movement. It poisons the technique! Even those with less ability than others who truly believe in the intention behind their movements stand out shine. That's no less true for karate than it is for taiko.

I don't expect my methods to work for everyone, nor do I think my opinions on ego and performing will settle with many people. But it's an interesting contrast and counterpoint to what I've seen out there and I'd be really curious to hear what works for other people...not that y'all comment much. ;)

1 comment:

  1. My belief on the pre-show ritual is, "to each his own." Some people might need to be calm in order to access that sublime area of their skills. Other people, like yourself, need more of a "jazzed and charged up" feeling. I see pre-show rituals as a procedural—almost empirical—effort to access the emotional and spiritual side of a performer with consistency. A follow-up question to your intriguing post seems to be: "With each performer having a different avenue to their sublime skills, how does a group accommodate that diversity while still maintaining camaraderie?"

    ReplyDelete