Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Conference is over, now what?


So, the North American Taiko Conference is once again, over. Time to reflect!

This year's was the best run, in my opinion. Issues always pop up, but we as participants hardly saw the chaos that runs underneath. I likened it to ducks - graceful on the water, but the feet are paddling like mad underneath.

I had my two workshops, and enjoyed them greatly. I made the mistake of trying to do too much during the first one, about rhythms, instead of looking at my remaining time and taking out the superfluous material. Ah well, live and learn.

I'm already thinking ahead to 2011, with two new workshop ideas - one on body percussion, which I've taken workshops in, and the other on playing multiple drums. I'd like to continue the wrists series however, which will be in its sixth incarnation next time.

One thing I enjoy is seeing so many people really enjoying the taiko and the experiences at the Conference. After playing for so long (16 years!) I recognize my own bouts with being jaded or cynical about taiko, but it's seeing people overjoyed at all the many things to take in that recharge me. And that's odd for me, being someone that's not a social person overall. PJ likes to say, "don't play to impress, play to inspire."

My Highlights of the Conference:
  • Finally learning the names of some of the people I see all the time!
  • Watching Yuta and Shohei trying to interpret and act out how Oguchi-sensei used to act.
  • Bryan Yamami as MC of Taiko Jam, especially the Kris Bergstom impersonation.
  • Rev. Mas Kodani's speech about ego and taiko!
There are other things I'll remember and enjoy, but those stick out.

So it's back onto my usual postings and musings; I don't plan out posts so who knows what will show up on here. There are a ton of topics to cover! Just throwing a few out there...burnout, personality conflicts, composing, pushing oneself, things I wish I knew about taiko when I first started, race and taiko, etc. Where to start?

I know I don't get a lot of comments from my readers (or a lot of readers, lol.) But if people have questions or ideas for topics, I'll take a stab at them! ...er, the topics, not a stab at the readers. ;)

1 comment:

  1. "I likened it to ducks - graceful on the water, but the feet are paddling like mad underneath."

    Having been on the organization side of (non-taiko) events, and thinking every year how good it is that nobody appreciates how much work it is... I really like that analogy.

    ReplyDelete