Thursday, January 28, 2010

Face-to-face


A few months ago at the studio, all of us had to go right up to the mirror and practice making a face. One of the songs we open concerts most often with requires a certain look, a face that conveys to the audience a sense of unrealized delight; a surprise that we know is coming but you haven't seen yet. It's not easy to make that face, let alone keep it during the song!

However, the face and the song are not important here. The exercise is. The large majority of the group couldn't keep from laughing either to hide feeling awkward or because it provided a break from looking at themselves. I'm no robot; there were times where I had to smile because of someone's reaction - but I didn't feel weird staring at myself as we went from "happy" to "flat" and subtle shades in between. I can't say all of you should go up to a mirror and practice making faces, but it might prove interesting. It's not as weird to do solo; there's less social awkwardness.

For me, my expression is key in both my chosen arts. In taiko, I have to portray emotion and exude presence. In karate, I can't let an opponent know where I'm about to attack, unless I want to use that against them. The right game face can also give an advantage if an opponent's spirit is weak.

We really only think about our expression when another person comments on it; but relying on another person to shape what our face is doing is like playing "Marco Polo" in the pool. Open your eyes and get to your goal!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, looking in the mirror can sometimes be intimidating and almost "hyper-self aware." But I like your point. Expression is always a goal of mine, and your post brought up some interesting and new things to think about.

    ReplyDelete