Monday, April 25, 2011

Two Lenses

I have two lenses I carry around with me.

The first are the critical eye lenses, the ones of an artist of a combined 30 years who watches for what's not quite right, what could be improved, if a strike is clean, if the motions are efficient, etc. They don't only see what's bad or negative; they also notice what really works, too. These are the lenses that get more and more focused every year. They're also impossible to completely remove. I can forget that I have them on, but only for so long.

The other pair I've had as far back as I remember. They're the lenses that let me enjoy even the most beginning of levels. They help me enjoy the other person's joy, whether it's in simply trying hard or having fun/satisfaction in doing what they practice.

With the first pair, it's not like I catch everything. I'm still learning and as I learn, I see more in myself and others. With the second pair, it's not like I always enjoy everything I see! I have my preferences and tastes, and even if something is done well, that doesn't mean I'm going to like it.

You might find yourself too heavily favoring one pair or the other, and it will limit you. Most people are pretty balanced, but there are people who seemingly favor one over the other. Those who heavily favor the latter almost seem unobservant in their "kindness". Really, you didn't mind that I totally forgot the sequence halfway through and messed up people around me? Really? It makes me suspicious, but that's me. Those who heavily favor the former are the ones I feel sorry for because where's the joy in their art? One can be critical and eagle-eyed, but if there's no passion in observing people doing what you do or you can't enjoy the product, then why are you still involved in it?

As always, balance is the key. Never stop striving to get better by being better, and never lose the joy in even the simplest of movements.

No comments:

Post a Comment