Monday, July 4, 2011

Good enough?

When are you "good enough"? When do you step back and acknowledge what you've done or where you are? What do you do after you step back?

Most players I know of wouldn't dare to say, "Yeah, I'm good enough." There's a drive, a need to grow as artists no matter what direction that might take them. Better listener? More solid chops? Louder kiai? Any of those could apply.

It does seem a bit egotistical to ever think one is good enough in any area. I can't ever see myself thinking I know all I need to know in even my strongest of strengths. I don't ever want to know all there is to know! How boring would that be?

So why even bring up this question, if it's a ridiculous one to ask? Two reasons.

First, ok maybe you shouldn't ask yourself if you're "good enough", but it's really good to step back and look where you are at any given point. You're pulling the car off the road and looking at your surroundings, but you're not done with your journey. It grounds you, it makes you appreciate the progress you're making, and it also can let you know what still needs focus.

Second, I have met people who almost act like they are good enough, at least in one area. I've never heard someone say, "I think I'm good enough, you know?" But you can see it in their body language, in how they approach practices, in where they focus their attention. They've stopped to look back and for whatever the reason, they chose not to continue forward. It's sad.

So you've looked back, now what? Well now you can continue on your path but with a better perspective. You can reflect on what slowed you down in the past and take steps to either avoid it or tackle it more readily. Maybe you'll realize that you've neglected something in your training or decide that you want to pursue an area you've never stopped to consider before.

Perspective is important, but a false sense of achievement is dangerous. You should make goals and enjoy the satisfaction of "arriving" at them, sure. Just never treat any goal as your last!

No comments:

Post a Comment