Thursday, March 27, 2014

New Song Diary: Bangerz in the Fall

So after our last concert with the Bangerz (the local -  and very talented - San Jose crew), we're doing a short tour with them later this year.  The group will be writing some new pieces to add to the existing ones.  I didn't compose anything for the first show, but I want to try something this time.

I'm taking tracks from video game music, specifically from the Commodore Amiga 500 - a computer that hasn't been made in decades, by a company that hasn't been around for nearly as long.  Some of the games on the Amiga had songs that I really got into, so much so that I would record them on a micro-cassette recorder to listen to when I was away from the computer.

I've been listening to and narrowing down tracks to use, figuring out pitches and beats-per-minutes, and thinking about how to make a piece that's enjoyable for the audience, and more than just nostalgia for me.  I need to figure out how to make a cohesive piece out of parts, how to arrange the taiko to make for an interesting set up, when and what to play on, and how to make something interesting in the movements.  Basically, everything from writing a new piece!

It'll be interesting to work with the Bangerz this time, since it'll be a new experience.  It's a variable that I'm not used to, and I think they'll be able to do some amazing stuff with the tracks I give them!

I'll let you know how things go, but I have to say it's nice to have inspiration to write again.  It's been a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment