Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Taiko Intensive Weekend 2010


So the reason why this post is late is because I was busy the whole three-day weekend over at SJT's studio with their Taiko Intensive Weekend.

This was the 5th TWI: Original that we've run, with 12 people coming from all over the U.S. They get to learn SJT's style of technique, performing, philosophy, as well as get to visit San Jose Japantown and understand the history of our group. We have a TWI: Naname, which focuses on playing the drum at an angle, which we spend all 3 days focusing on. We're also thinking about doing other specialties, such as a shime-based/striking technique one in the future.

This year and the last, I've been in charge of two portions of TWI: Original, the Roy Drills and Small Drum Technique.

As for Roy Drills, I'm actually not going to describe them. Those who have been through them know what they're all about, and I don't want to ruin the surprise for anyone who might read this and come to TWI:O in the future! I can say one thing about this run, however. Two of our performing members, after watching me finish the Roy Drills, called me "mean", but I take it as a compliment. ;)

As for the Small Drum Technique, where I talk about efficient striking, I found myself running out of time but was able to get the important stuff across. Last year I had a second session, but without it this year, I felt like I was only able to scratch the surface of the basics. Several of the participants told me how a certain concept or drill really gave them a serious kick-start in a great direction, so I at least feel like I was able to give them a quality workshop.

We had a great Discussion Session last night, which turned out to revolve around the questions of "What makes a person a taiko player?" and "What is taiko?" A lot of different perspectives were shared and it could have easily gone on another hour, I think.

But one of the best parts is also one of the parts that we don't use as a selling point. It's just getting to know fellow taiko players during meals - sitting around, talking, sharing, understanding. Amongst the blisters and sore muscles, between the information overload and comfort levels pushed, we bond, teachers and students alike. I believe that sort of bonding really helps people want to get better; that feeling that the people teaching you care about your progress and that your peers are just as eager to watch you grow as they are to grow themselves.

And now, three days later, full of blog post ideas and barely able to keep my eyes from crossing, I'm going to crash. See you Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment