Thursday, January 6, 2011

I am Yoshikazu Fujimoto.


Yoshikazu Fujimoto, for those who don't know him, is one of the most senior members of Kodo. If you don't know Kodo, you'll have to Google it. :)

As for being Yoshikazu... When I play odaiko I choose to embody him, to "be" him. In no way am I saying I'm on his level or have his skill, but he is my favorite taiko player and he inspires me.

Even when his back is to the audience, he beams spirit and intention. He doesn't become one with the drum, the drum becomes one with him. I know that's corny, but that's how I visualize his style of playing. He doesn't hold back; every ounce of energy he gives is genuine, without reservation.

When I'm on odaiko, I'm thinking about the song, my striking, my presence. However, I'm also thinking of how Yoshikazu looks to me when he plays odaiko. In my mind, I'm his avatar on the stage. When I get tired, I think, "Yoshikazu wouldn't get tired this early in a song!" When it's my solo, I think how Yoshikazu can pour himself into a 10-minute solo so I better nail my eight measures! You probably get the idea by now.

I think it's a fantastic idea to embody the artist you admire when you play. Maybe you don't know that person well, but how do they make you feel? It doesn't even have to be someone who does the same art, as long as they inspire you. Take that feeling with you and use it to push yourself to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment