Monday, January 31, 2011

Beginner's Mind


At San Jose Taiko, we follow four guiding principles, and within each of those are a myriad of categories ranging from extension to projection to attendance. But the "big one", the category that takes special mention is "Beginner's Mind."

Simply put, no matter how many times you approach a drill or song, you want to feel that you can learn something from playing it again. Hell, after nearly two decades of playing oroshi, I still find ways to make it better.

But it's really easy to tell yourself "I can learn something new" when it comes to playing. Where it gets tricky is in listening.

When someone revisits a subject you're familiar with, such as a song you already know, or a way to do something you feel knowledgeable about, ask yourself, which mode do you go into?
  • "Let's see if I can find something new I hadn't considered before."
  • "Maybe I'll learn how to better teach this by listening to how it's taught this time."
-or-
  • "Again? I learned this already."
  • "I can't wait to tell people how *I* do it, once this person stops talking."
No one's perfect; there are times when I feel like the second option, but I'm much better at catching myself when I do. It's just an increasing pet peeve of mine when I watch the body language of someone who isn't listening at all and simply waiting until it's over - either because they're tired of hearing the same information or they want to say their two cents. I don't want any cents from someone like that!

Every three months at karate, we have a new batch of students. I've taught the same basic blocks and the same basic kicks a LOT of times by now. Each time, I learn something in the teaching. When I overhear another black belt teaching, I try to listen to how they explain things, in hopes to make my own understanding of it better. I could jump in with "oh and don't forget blah blah blah," but that undercuts their authority and unless it's something really crucial that wasn't mentioned, it's not worth taking that time.

I don't know neuroscience or much psychology, but I have a theory that when a person is thinking "I already know this", they're shut off to learning. And when it's "I want to add something once it's over", there's no room for input, only output. How many minutes do you want to stand around not learning something? And who would be at fault? In this case, you.

Beginner's Mind is just that. About the mind. It should be in effect when you play, when you listen, when you teach, when you watch, etc. We all have knowledge of some sort, but when you stop learning, you stop getting better. So unless you think you're the best there is, keep that mind open!

No comments:

Post a Comment