Thursday, February 3, 2011

Kodo fanatic


Kodo is in town this week! We had a wonderful potluck with them last night, and will go up to see them perform in concert tomorrow night.

For those who don't know Kodo or taiko much at all, Kodo was the first taiko group to really become world famous. For about 25 years now, the group has been perfecting and pushing the art of taiko in a near-monastic lifestyle. They maintain a community on Sado Island in Japan and their popularity is the reason why so many other Japanese taiko groups have come to flourish.

Kodo really shaped who I am in terms of a taiko player, in terms of musicality and sensibilities. When I was first introduced to them by Toni Yagami, I had no clue who this group really was. When I saw them perform, it hit me like nothing else! I remember watching Yoshikazu Fujimoto's 10-minute odaiko solo while sitting on the edge of my seat, completely captivated. I got my hands on as much of Kodo as I could after that.

I listened to the CDs so many times that I could tap along to the entire published Kodo repertoire, ha! I would watch the videos (VHS back then), pick a drummer, play their part on drum pads, go back, pick another drummer, repeat. I was even proud of being a fanatic; it gave me a sense of identity.

When Kodo came out to play, I would go to two, three of their shows in a row. I would get backstage whenever I could, mindful to stay out of the way, but happy to chat with whomever wanted to. Even with my limited Japanese (very limited), I had some great exchanges with Kodo members. When I went to Japan in 2001 on the Rhythmix trip, the highlight for me was visiting Sado and Kodo Village. I considered applying for their training program, dreaming of making it into the group but figuring it was more likely to study for a year and return. Unfortunately for a while, I made Roy and PJ a little uneasy about my obvious love of Kodo: where did my loyalties lie?

I realize that many of my listening preferences in taiko come from listening to so much Kodo. A lot of the patterns I create come from there as well. I also realize that the Kodo I know is the older generation, and the current generation is full of members I have no history with. I don't feel the same connection to Kodo that I used to have, but that's ok! Kodo has grown and evolved as they must, and so have I. The connections I still have are all the more important.

What shaped you as an artist that no longer has the same sway over you? Do you regret not enjoying it longer or are you glad you moved on when you did?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to see them in Indiana in a couple of weeks. So excited!

    I wore out a "Best of Kodo" cassette way back when, and then replaced it with a CD. When I think of the inspiring thunderous sound of taiko, I think of Kodo first. (And now, learning to play "Zoku" I feel like a fanboy.)

    One of our members visited Sado for a workshop with them last year and is *still* glowing from it. :)

    ReplyDelete