Monday, June 11, 2012

If it ain't broke...

...look again.

I think most of us are familiar with the original cliche, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I have a problem subscribing to that philosophy.

I'm analytic and always looking for what can be improved; it's just how my mind works.  When something isn't obviously wrong with a process or system, I look to find ways to improve on it instead.

This doesn't necessarily endear me to some people, who see me as a shit-stirrer, devil's advocate, or just annoying.  I can accept that.  I just don't like not looking at something because it works.  Sure, you can weld together 20 spoons and use it as a hammer, but is that the best way to use spoons?  Or hammer in a nail?

I'm writing this post for those who understand my mentality, as well as for those on the receiving end of people like me.  I have to realize that some people just don't want to tackle things that aren't in dire need of fixing, but I hope that the other side realizes I just want to help make things better.

So which side do you lean more on?  Deal with the big issues and what's not causing issues gets set aside?  Or taking a look at everything to see if there's a way to make things easier in the long run?  Both are valid, but I'm definitely voting for the latter.  :)

1 comment: