Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sing me a solo...


Sometimes in my improv sessions, I have people sing a solo, either with kuchishoga or freestyle/scat.  It's really interesting (and telling) to hear what comes out of people!

I find that how people sing their solo is often not the same as what they'd play with bachi in their hands.  In some regards, that makes sense because there's not the same need for visuals you might have when you're playing the drum, but for the most part, people's vocal solos have sounded much less complex than what they'd play.

I've noticed that a lot of people get much "shyer" when using their voice instead of playing the drum.  It might be because they're vocalizing in front of people (eek!), or that they've not been loud without a drum before, but even with those factors, it's a very noticeable difference.

The taiko definitely becomes a proxy of sort, a way to express one's self, but I feel like relying on the drum to have a strong solo is a false strength, maybe even a crutch?  I'm still thinking about this one.

To me, it's one thing if your hands can play up a nice solo, but if it's not coming from your head, then you're limited/ruled by your physical abilities.  While some people may have very good physical abilities, as I've said before, they fade in time or with injuries.  Having the ability to solo strongly in your head, with your hands, with your voice, with your body - these combined make you a strong soloist, much stronger than just one aspect!

So sing it up!  Especially in the car; no one else can hear you and you only look silly.  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment