Thursday, July 22, 2010

New Song Diary: Prologue

I want to write a new taiko song.

But I'm going to do something different.

I have approximately 1,260 song ideas in my head at any given time. Some days it's as low as 1,145, but you know how it is. Yes, I'm kidding. :P

I have a folder full of scores for my notation software and a document for visual ideas. I even have a song idea that I've work-shopped with the group 2-3 times, but I don't want to work on something I already have ideas for.

I want to come up with a piece from scratch, without knowing anything about it before I start. That's why I'm starting this new thread series, "New Song Diary" for three main reasons:
  1. I meet people who tell me they have song ideas, but never know how to start making it happen. Maybe blogging my own process will help inspire or guide someone past their obstacles.
  2. It will somewhat hold me accountable to actually write the damned thing, instead of just adding to my folder/list of ideas.
  3. Could be fun!
I'll pop this topic up as things happen; next time I'll talk about how I'll choose what sort of song to create (festival vs. concert) and looking at what my strengths and weaknesses are.

I don't know how long this experiment will take, but I would love to hear feedback and field questions along the way should any of you be so inclined. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment