Monday, July 19, 2010

UK Tour, Day 5: Brilliant!

So technically, all of this happened yesterday, but I was up until 3am and I was only going to get six hours of sleep as it was, so writing this post had to wait!

The day started with a walk down to the river, to catch a little more taiko at the continuation of the 6th Annual UK Taiko Festival. We only got to catch two groups before we took off to the theater, unfortunately.

Once there, it was the usual load-and-tech-in, but we had about half the usual time and we were working with Kagemusha Taiko's equipment. The latter wasn't much of an issue, but getting everything done in time was. Around 4:00, we worked with the Kagemusha Taiko Group to do the encore with them on stage. We grabbed Oliver and Pippa Kirby (also in KTG) to get them up to speed on doing a bit of soloing with us in the beginning of that same encore. I'll give them both props for doing so well - playing with uchiwa daiko (fan drums) and bounding about the stage isn't easy to do with little preparation!

At 7:30, KTG performed a 30-minute set and we got to sit out in the audience to watch. It felt pretty special to see KTG really cut loose with their ensemble! They have their own definite style, energy, and sensibility when they play, and it really struck me to see what similarities to SJT came across without ever feeling like it being a "version" or "copy" of us. If anything, it felt more like we shared a common bond as performers.

When it was our turn, we steeled ourselves for a 70-minute show (a definite endurance-pusher) but immediately felt the crowd's excitement when we stepped on stage. There were the usual brain farts, but very little was noticeable to the audience. The energy from the crowd really helped push through being tired, but I was happy to not ever feel too drained; I was having too much fun! In Oedo Bayashi, our finale piece, I heard applause in the middle of my solo and I wish I could remember what I was doing...something about swinging one arm around and playing with the other, my back to the audience? Ah well, it was fun nonetheless.

The after-party was a real blast, held upstairs at a local pub. Aside from the great food, we got to talk to a lot of the KTG group (and extended "family" of same). Back home, we had a couple of the KTG players coming back to our host family and had another few hours to sit around and chat with everyone here; family, friends, performers, etc. It was worth staying up so late, although I know I'll be feeling the lack of sleep later on. :)

Today we'll be doing two school shows early in the afternoon and then off to tea at one of the other host families. I've heard there's a BBQ to be there as well; but I'm really looking forward to talking again with all the KTG people who can be there with us. I don't know when I'll be this way again, so I want to get in as much taiko-bonding as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment