Monday, September 13, 2010

Rhythm Spirit 2010

Sleep and food make for a nice recovery from a concert weekend!

We just finished our annual concert series, 3 shows in 2 days. I think we had almost 500 people per show, which was a great turnout! Thank you to all who were able to attend!

There were a lot of familiar faces in the lobby after we finished the shows; the longer I play, the more people I seem to know! Funny that. :)

This year, the Concert Director took me and the other 2 senior players aside well before we began prep. He wanted us to know his direction for this year was to really push forward the newer members, which meant not as much development for us. Knowing well ahead of time that this was the plan, it was much easier to deal with and not feel "left out". Each of us was given one new part in at least one song, as well as other parts throughout the concert.

I think everyone who was pushed forward rose to meet the occasion. As for me, I didn't feel that much growth as an artist, but I made sure to take the time between shows to work out some creative stuff. I took a shimedaiko off one of the stands and did some creative work with it while seated (more about that in a later post).

I know that next year, I need to compose a piece to make sure I feel more engaged with the concert, but I don't have any hard feelings for the shift in priorities this year. I just miss the nervous butterflies and the feeling of something truly new!

Tour practice starts up this week and I leave in a week for 2 weeks of touring, to Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, and California. Who needs rest? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment