Thursday, March 3, 2011

Question Everything: Giving it your all.

I've talked about pushing yourself to do more, try harder, etc. So what does that really entail?

In karate, "pushing myself" means to throw every technique as fast and as strong as I can, without losing proper technique. There's no holding back or pacing myself. Depending on the workout, I can be sweating by the first 5 minutes just by doing basics.

Sometimes I'll catch myself doing a pace that's a little easy at times just because I'm used to it and it frustrates me. Why did I not give it my all? Why did I go through the motions (no matter how strong or fast those motions might be)?

In taiko, I can't give every strike my "all." To do that would be to over-hit, to risk playing notes too early, and to stand out visually even more from the group. So...how much do I give?

I feel it's more important to honor the intention of the song and style of your group than to just blindly go all-out. You can put in a lot of energy by putting out a lot of energy, for one. Project your ki past where you can reach, past the drums. When you're playing a supporting role, this is especially true.

Because taiko is music and art and dance all mixed into one, you don't necessarily get to do things exactly how you want to. You're in effect limited by the composition, but that's really not a bad thing - it's the delivery mechanism for your expression!

As a taiko player, you have to find ways to push your endurance and spirit and endurance and passion, aside from just waiting for that really hard solo or long passage that makes you tired. For instance, how much energy can put out just by standing there, being still, yet projecting spirit?

It doesn't matter how athletic you are, because ultimately, "giving it your all" is more of a mindset. How much you can give depends on what you're doing, as well as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment