Saturday, April 4, 2009

3 days in Chico

I planned to update the blog each day we were in Chico, but between the lack of internet connection and the late nights/early mornings, it just didn't happen. So this is the recap!

We had an early start Thursday morning; tech was all day from 9:00-6:00. It was pretty low-key, but teching in all day followed by a concert at night always saps one's energy. Usually after we load the drums off the truck, unpack, set up, and tie the roped drums, we'll focus the lights. We usually do this in teams of two - we're told what light will come up next, and we move drums into position so the light can be positioned.

I was on a shift with PJ this time, and the crew got a 15-minute break during our shift. It was really nice to sit and chat with PJ about issues on her mind and what she thinks about some things in the taiko world. For those who may not know, PJ Hirabayashi is one of the founders of San Jose Taiko, and a major force in North American taiko (if not taiko around the world).

As for the show, I didn't hear final numbers - 500 was the count two weeks out, and the house held around 1250. In the very first song, I was playing in the back, stage right, on shime (the high-pitched smaller drum) and I could feel a slight divot in the bachi (stick) of my right hand. Seconds earlier, I was literally thinking, "I wonder if this will break - I hope I can recover if it does...", and then *snap*, I have half a bachi in my hand and the song is about to end...good thing for spare bachi in the shime pouch!

The next morning, we did two school shows with a total of about 2500 kids. It's never easy to take on a huge pack of kids - we walk out on stage and there's a lot of chatting, noises, hushing, and giggling...but once they realize that we can be a lot louder than they can, it seems to quiet them down. Also, many of the kids actually start getting into the show - they want to see more, and when someone acts up, our new fans can shush them down in force. :)

It was a long drive back and most of us were beat. We'll be back out on the road in less than two weeks - going to VA, NC, TN, and GA! I'll be seeing some family in TN, and will try to blog every day, because I know my fans (both of you) want me to!

No comments:

Post a Comment