Friday, April 17, 2009

This better not be a sign of things to come...


So the day started off pretty normal - 9am call in the theater, load-in, tech on stage, meals...

The theater is right next to a buffalo wing place/bar. So for lunch I bypassed the rather nice deli spread in the green room and got 20 wings, 4 different sauces. I was stoked at some of the flavors..."spicy honey mustard garlic"? *drool*

I know, you're all looking for taiko stuff, but it all adds up, trust me.

They apparently think that *grease* is a SAUCE. All four to-go containers were sloshing with "flavor". It spilled out of the bag on the floor and made for a nasty lunch (could only eat half of it). I had to eat stuff off the veggie tray to try and absorb some of it (I know, that's not really how it works...)

Just before the show, one of our members realized they had brought two left tabi - the white shoes we wear onstage - and we had about 30 minutes to show! No problem - we're less than 10 minutes from the hotel; another member would drive them there to pick up a matching pair.

A few minutes later, the volunteer driver comes in and tells us the rental car they were going to use has a flat tire. Precious minutes lost, they grabbed the keys to the other car, but this meant having to get that tire dealt with after the show! They made it back with about 10 minutes to go, which brought everyone a little shot (or not-so-little) of adrenalin before the show!

Franco was quite the initiative-taker and fixed the flat after the show by himself; extra cheetos for him!

The show went well overall - a few hiccups here and there but really good energy on stage and no "train wrecks". Personally, I pumped myself way up before the show to see where it would take me. I had a great set overall; really felt like I could push other members as well as draw a lot more out of myself. I refused to get tired, refused to worry about messing up, refused to just coast through my solos. It's a different experience and I don't know if I can do that for every show, but it's a great experiment to try!

Some members of Nen Daiko came to see us - they didn't want to hang around and eat with us at 11:00pm, awww. Some people can be so rude! Kidding, I kid! It was great to have them come and support us.

Off to Durham, NC tomorrow - short four-hour drive, but we have to switch out the car with the spare tire first. Should be a short day of travel and then rest...and hopefully uneventful!

No comments:

Post a Comment