Monday, December 27, 2010

Looking back at 2010...

Last week of 2010 and I wanted to look back on all the taiko I was able to do this year!

- We spent three weeks on Spring Tour, where we played in IA, OH, WI, NJ, VT, and NY.
- There was the collaboration with the Bangers, the local DJ crew, which culminated in a mind-blowing late-night gig on the streets of San Jose!
- Did as many local festivals as I could from April through October, plus most of the Public Workshops that SJT runs.
- San Jose Obon is always a big deal, but even more so this year because I co-planned the set for both days.
- Being in Exeter for the 6th UK Taiko Festival was super fun; too bad it only lasted a week!
- We had two Taiko Weekend Intensives: the first I helped teach and the second I helped out where I was needed.
- Our annual Fall Concert was probably the least exciting of what I did this year, not because it was boring, but because of all the other fun things I got to do!
- Almost 20 years after the first one, the second collaboration with Abhinaya Dance Company was the most challenging thing I did all year. I definitely feel like it pushed my skills further.
- Nearly forgot about learning the kulintang and playing it both on tour and in the Fall Concert. Being a brand-new instrument with a lot of history behind it, it was a lot more than just learning a new part in a song we already play.
- Finally, the two sections of Fall Tour took us to MO, WY, CO, CA, and FL for some rather varied and interesting places and stories.

That's a hell of a lot of taiko, and I know people who did even more than I did! Still, next year looks like it'll be pretty insane...but that's for the next post. Hope you all had a great 2010 full of whatever it is you love doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment