Monday, December 20, 2010

New Song Diary: Poking through the stagnation

While most of the group has been out in Japan traveling about, I took the available downtime and went into the studio to force something out.

I brought my camera along to record anything that I wanted to remember, set up a single pod of three drums, and let my hands go. I only had one small idea to try out when I started, but to really get the true feeling, I need all five players for hocketing and polyrhythms.

I wound up with about three new ideas/patterns that I got on tape, but I'm going to need more than just a bunch of patterns to make the song work.

As far as getting anything written down, I spent a good hour last night composing a possible opening (about 20 bars or so). The opening comes from a British techno song I used to listen to a lot as a teen, modified to fit a "one-handed" taiko player. Now I'm letting my brain figure out where it wants to go from there. Unlike my last song, Commotion, this one is definitely not writing itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment