Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dyson on failure

James Dyson, the British inventor and founder of the Dyson company was interviewed by Wired magazine in the December 2012 issue.

When asked if his prototypes ever fail, he replied, "Absolutely.  It's when something fails that you learn.  If it doesn't fail, you don't learn anything.  You haven't made any progress."

I realize it can be more impactful when a group or organization fails at something, but in terms of an individual failing, it's only a real loss if you don't learn anything from it.

In my time as an artist, I've:

- Failed getting into SJT.
- Failed the first round of auditions for STOMP.
- Written songs that were way too complicated and ornate.
- Failed at solo moves I spent time working on.
- Failed my 3rd-degree black belt test.
- Didn't place in the top 3 in sparring/kata events several times.

There have been a lot of failures that for me were at best, stinging and at worst, gut-wrenching.  I've learned from them all and they don't stop me from trying.  Trying hard.  To not allow yourself to fail is to not allow yourself to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment