Monday, February 29, 2016

Odaiko solo

For this year's home concert, I'm doing a 2-3 minute odaiko solo.  At first, this didn't seem like a big deal:  I've soloed for 20+ minutes at the studio by myself and I feel comfortable with my technique.  But then I started thinking a bit more about it...

For one, I'll be the very first person people see in the show, the very first person to play anything on stage.  On top of that, we haven't had anyone do an odaiko solo since PJ - let alone as an opening - for many years now.  Finally, it's not just playing whatever until I get tired, I have to have a concert-worthy opening and be solid for those few minutes before the next section.

There are a few things that help, though.  On tour, I'm often the first person people *see* playing, so it's not a big deal to be the actual first person playing, even for a little while.  As for it being a while since PJ did her solo, I don't feel like I have to replicate what she did.  While I do feel like I need to represent the group well in those few minutes, I have to do it in my voice, which is what I'll be developing over the next 5-6 weeks.

I'm not worried, but it is an opportunity to take some time polishing technique, pushing myself artistically, and enjoying the fact that I get to play an odaiko solo in a show that's longer than a few bars!  Hope to see some of you after the show next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment