Monday, February 1, 2016

Watching without listening


The other night I was watching a taiko video online and had the sound off.  I didn't turn it off because I didn't like what I heard; it was an accident.  However, without sound, there was less information for my brain to process and I really noticed the visuals - more than I think I would have with the sound on.

I felt like I was able to notice how much of this group was in sync with each other (or not), to focus more on the way they were using their body to strike the drum, and could look at their ki without the "distraction" of hearing kiai.

It was interesting, to say the least.  It wasn't a negative experience; it wasn't all flaws and mistakes.  I was just able to see things with more clarity.  I think it would prove an interesting tool for either a group or self-evaluation!

Technology has made training so much easier, but there are some interesting things like this that come up unexpectedly.  Another example of this: when people are standing still for any length of time and there doesn't look like there's any movement, if you watch the recording on fast-forward, you can see how swaying is really happening over time.  It's more than you think!

We listen to taiko through streaming, mp3s, and CDs, so we don't think anything of just listening but it seems weird to just watch, right?  This is just another tool you can use, one of many.  It makes you see taiko in a different light, removed from other "distractions" as it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment