Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snakes and snow


Today was a more relaxed day but not a light one. The group split into two teams; my team drove 4.5 hours to Cleveland OH. We did a 3-hour workshop with both Icho Daiko and Oberlin College Taiko groups. We gave them a crash course in Ei Ja Nai Ka, teaching the taiko pattern, the dance, and the kakegoe (vocal accompaniment). It was a ton of information for them to absorb in a short time, but no one died. :)

We watched each of their groups play a song, then we played Gendai ni Ikiru for them. Because it was on a smooth tile floor and I had sneakers on, my solo was trickier than normal. I didn't mess up, but since one section I do involves a lot of jumping/turning, I couldn't risk it and wound up doing a new move that I really liked! I'm going to keep it. Funny how new ideas work out from something that started out as a limitation...

We wound up having a potluck-style dinner with members of both taiko groups. I don't usually get to interact so much with other taiko players on tour; partially because I don't strike up conversations well and mostly because on tour we don't get a lot of time to hang with other groups. I admit I really enjoy answering questions from newer taiko people - whether it's about SJT's repetoire or how to approach drills in new ways, I feel like I have the ability to inspire people with the information I wish I had back then! I don't feel like I have all the answers; I ask more questions of myself now than I ever did, but if I can help one person to "get it" on a topic or think of something in a new way, then I've accomplished something.

We're spending the next two nights at Icho Daiko's leader Nozomi Ikuta's (and her husband's) house. They have a pooch and a ball python - it liked PJ, as you can see in the picture. :)

Day off tomorrow but it's cold and snowing now! Eep!

No comments:

Post a Comment